Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Creative blessings from my Father's World. . . . . . . . .


"O Lord, how many are Your works!
In wisdom You have made them all;
The earth is full of Your possessions."
Psalm 104:24


After days of cold temps and falling snow, today the sun warmed the earth and I rejoiced! This morning the uniquely shaped icicles hanging from the roof of our farm cottage caught my eye. I said to myself, "I must get out there and capture them on film before they melt!"

As it turned out, my timing was almost perfect. The sun was shining on the icy waterfalls frozen in time, reflecting God's handiwork. One particular ice sculpture had formed as a tornado from the drain gutter near the roof line. It nearly touched the ground and was awesome!

Others were smaller but were formed as if by the wind itself - like a flag waving in the breeze, their long sharp fingers were actually all curved in one direction.

Although I tired to capture these spectacular works of art on film - the camera just could not begin to adequately display God's handiwork. And as I reflected, I was reminded of just how great our God is and what a wonderful world He has created for us to enjoy.

By the time I returned from taking the dogs for a short walk, the sun was growing brighter and warmer. As I filled the bird feeder in our backyard, I turned just in time to see the windy icicles fall - it was a good thing I had photographed them when I did. The large one near our picture window was gone by noon - I actually missed it! The large pencil-shaped piece of ice had become a part of our surroundings for days.

As I reflect, I wonder, how many times do I miss special creative blessings from God? Do I take time to leave my daily chores and work to catch glimpses of God - geese flying across a baby blue sky, squirrels scampering about in our black walnut trees or a glorious sunset or sunrise? May God forgive me when I am just too busy to notice.

An amazing world created by our Heavenly Father greets us each day. As spring approaches, glimpses of the first spring flowers poking their colorful heads through the rich earth will soon appear. Will I be too busy to notice? I am going to try to watch for their delightful entries into our world once more! They will change and grow quickly. Will I miss the moment God has planned for me to see one of His wonders? And to perhaps try to catch the blessing on film or just in my heart?

Which of God's creative blessings have you tried to capture on film lately? And are you anxious for what He has in store for us for the next season? More importantly, are you too busy or are you ready to see what He has in store?

1 comment:

Melissa Amateis said...

Another good post. :-) I think the last time I really reflected on the beauty of God's world was when I looked at the ice sculptures alongside the road. That snow has been there for months - literally - and as it melts and then refreezes, it makes the most wondrous shapes.