Friday, February 12, 2010

Glimpes of my heritage. . . . . . . .

"The Lord is the portion of my inheritance and my cup;
You support my lot.
The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places;
Indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me."
Psalms 16: 5-6


Who would think a coffee cup would have so much significance? But, today as I sip flavored coffee from a Polish Stoneware cup, I realize it is important to me. Because. . . . . it links me to my Polish heritage. I feel closer to the Woznick family just from holding this warm, colorful cup in my hands. It was hand painted by a Pole - maybe even a relative of mine! Bright shades of blue, orange, green, yellow, and red are included in its design. And it is the only such cup ever made - there are no duplicates!

I reflect upon the distinctive personalities I remember when we Woznicks used to gather together when I was a child. My Uncle Friday's unique laugh, his robust voice filling the room as he visited with relatives. And still, he managed to smoke his pipe all the while - I loved that smell:-) My Grandma Nellie's white as snow hair curled upon her head, she almost always wore a colorful apron and had a sweet little giggle - it just always seemed to echo from wherever she was. A cheerful soul; I can still hear her bubbly responses in the corners of my mind.

She and Grandpa Tony's yard was unlike any in town and reflected the old country. A quaint, simple home, filled with this and thats. . . unique and vibrant and carefully arranged. No dust about either! Outside, I skipped along wooden sidewalks while chickens clucked from the tiny chicken coop. Blooming flowers and green plants in unique pots were both inside and out. As were several wooden bench swings my Grandpa made - one was smaller for us young ones! My cousins and I had so much fun swinging and playing in those!

This is just a small glimpse of my much loved Polish family who are mostly gone from this earth now. But the cup I sip from eases not seeing them anymore. Somehow, I feel closer to them just looking at it. And the hope Christ gives also gives me hope I will see them again some day!

As I reflect, I think about how God has given a heritage to anyone who believes in His only begotten Son, Jesus Christ, as their personal Savior. Each of us Christians is a child of God and a part of God's greater family. We share a heritage with the God who made this earth - that is pretty awesome when you think about it. And it is quite beautiful as the Scripture says. Vibrant in His glory. Secure in His unconditional love.

I think, what if I could paint a cup to reflect my Christian heritage. What would it look like? What colors would I use and what objects would I include to tell the world who I am in Christ. I have some visions, some ideas.

What would your cup look like?

p.s. visit www.polishstoneware.com if you'd like!

No comments: